Mount Holyoke Alumnae Symposium in Asia
India at Crossroads: Past, Present, and Future
January 11–13, 2019
If Mount Holyoke holds a special place in your heart, get on your magic carpet and come to Jaipur, India! There, we will welcome you in the vast gardens of the Taj Jai Mahal Palace hotel, the sprawling compound of which reminds us of our expansive, beautiful campus. Not only will you be welcomed with a Mount Holyoke hug, we will recreate the famous Rathskeller night.
Join us for this weekend of thought-provoking lectures and cultural events organized by Mount Holyoke’s Indian alumnae. This third Mount Holyoke Asian Alumnae Symposium, and the first ever in India, will be a power-packed weekend of vigorous intellectual and social engagement among alumnae. It promises to be a weekend like no other.
Events will focus on the evolution of India: the world’s largest democracy and one of its fastest growing economies. The theme, India at Crossroads—Past, Present and Future, will provide a ringside view of the culture and contradictions that make up this fascinating land. Speakers from diverse backgrounds—academia, journalism, sociology, and politics—as well as performance and visual artists will part the curtains and parse India’s complexities.
- Take a deep dive into India’s history and culture.
- Learn about its cuisine, economics, politics, science, and society, and contemplate its future.
- Hear and experience its songs and dances, and enjoy its food and drink.
- Listen to panel discussions by an array of experts from a variety of fields.
You will go home enriched and energized by the sheer color and intricacy of this land. Mount Holyoke’s Indian alumnae—the largest alumnae population of any Asian country other than China—are excited to welcome the global sisterhood to this fabled city.
The Taj Jai Mahal Palace Hotel
We chose the location in Jaipur precisely because of its campus-like feel. We will all stay together—eat, drink, dance, and debate together, and enjoy most symposium sessions in one magnificent place, the Taj Jai Mahal Palace Hotel.
The Pink City
Known for its magnificent royal past and fabulous heritage sites, plus its stunning gems, jewelry, crafts, and design, Jaipur has seduced the most seasoned global travelers with its pomp and splendor. From Queen Elizabeth II to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, visitors to the Pink City been enthralled. Experience Indian hospitality at its best by immersing yourself in this iconic city.
Strategically located in the golden triangle that also comprises Delhi and Agra, Jaipur is an easy flight from both Mumbai and Delhi.
Make your plans now!
Plan now to join us January 11–13, 2019 in Jaipur! A preliminary and broad overview of the weekend is below. We will add more details about the program, registration, and other relevant information in the coming months.
With questions, please email MHCIndia2019@gmail.com.
We look forward to seeing you in Jaipur!
Your organizing committee,
Vijaya Pastala ’89
Shoba Narayan ’88
Gayatri Rangachari Shah ’94
Tina Nagpaul ’93
Preliminary Weekend Overview
Friday, January 11, 2019
- 1:00–4:00 p.m.: Registration
- 4:00–7:00 p.m.: MHC Hug ice breaker mixer
- 7:00 p.m.: Welcome gala dinner, with keynote address at Taj Jai Mahal Palace
Saturday, January 12, 2019
Taj Jai Mahal Palace
- 9:15 a.m.–12:00 p.m.: Morning program
- 12:15–1:45 p.m.: Lunch
- 2:00–5:00 p.m.: Afternoon program
- 7:00 p.m.: Gala evening cocktails and dinner
- 9:00 p.m.: Rathskeller night with DJ
Sunday, January 13, 2019
Taj Jai Mahal Palace
- 9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.: Alumnae led workshops followed by a fabulous outdoor brunch in a divine setting
- Afternoon: Optional tour in and around Jaipur